All 16 year olds are required to continue in education or training until their 18th birthday. There are many choices available to students on leaving Year 11 such as School, College, Apprenticeships or T Levels. You can start work after sixteen, but you will also need to do training or learning that will lead to a real, valuable qualification. For more information see Whats Your next move grid, OxMe information here and below:
School - Wood Green School offer an extensive choice of A Levels and are able to extend the curriculum to offer vocational qualifications jointly with Abingdon & Witney College or you may choose to study at a different 6th Form.
College - you may choose to follow a more vocational route at college. We are served by many colleges such as: Abingdon & Witney College, City of Oxford College and Hartbury College.
Apprenticeships - Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study. As an apprentice you will: Work alongside experienced staff; gain job-specific skills; earn a wage and get holiday pay and study towards related qualifications. Apprenticeships take 1 to 4 years to complete depending on their level. Latest apprenticeship information and advice for parents, supported by the National Apprenticeship Service is available here. Further advice and information can be found here.
T Levels - T Levels are a brand-new qualification choice that will follow GCSEs and give students a head start towards the career they want. They will suit students who wish to start working towards a skilled occupation, prefer a practical approach to learning and want a predominantly classroom-based course. See here for more information.
OPPORTUNITIES & INFORMATION
Careers and Apprenticeships Updates
23 Feb 2021 Careers Update Flyer
1 Feb 2021 Careers Update Flyer
1 Feb 2021 Apprenticeships Update
25 Jan 2021 Apprenticeships Update
25 Jan 2021 Careers Update Flyer
12 Jan 2021 Careers Update Flyer
14 Dec 2020 Careers Update Flyer
Oxford University Hospitals - see here for information about current vacancies.
Medic Mentor Opportunities - If you're interested in getting into Dentistry, Medicine or Veterinary Medicine, please see here.
Opportunities and Vacancies Bulletins - weekly updates for Witney and North Oxfordshire area can be found here
Allied Health Professional Role - When people think of clinical careers in the NHS, they often think of Doctors and Nurses, however there are many other options available. Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) are a family of healthcare practitioners that work to ensure adults and children can live the fullest lives possible by helping them live with or recover from health problems. Webinar recordings which can be found here are designed for students years 7 – 13 and will provide an overview of the 15 AHPs, and the benefits of being an AHP.
Learn Live - Please see here for the Your Future in Health webinar and access to employers and careers information.
Thames Valley Police Cadet Programme - The Cadet Programme aims to provide young people between the ages of 13 and 18, from all the parts of society, an opportunity to develop their qualities and skills through a structured programme and to enhance the relationship between the public and police. It is about including teenagers, irrespective of their background, financial circumstances or vulnerability to crime or social exclusions. By joining the scheme, young people will also get opportunity to express their views on policing and will act as conduits for passing on policing messages to the wider community. For more information please see here
Oxfordshire Labour Market Information :- has been been compiled to bring to young people's attention the jobs in demand and enterprise opportunities across the county, now and in the future. It's aim is to broaden young people's knowledge and understanding of the labour market, raise their aspirations and help them plan their career pathways based on high quality, up to date, locally relevant information. The Jan 2020 Labour Market Information for Oxfordshire can be found here. To access the OxLep Skills and Labour Market website please see here
CURRENT APPRENTICESHIP VACANCIES
- Applications now open for AWE’s award-winning apprenticeship programme - here
- Success at School - Apprenticeships and work experience at top companies - here.
- Lots of opportunities on OXME. Find out more here
- Abingdon & Witney College - see here
- Activate Apprenticeships, Oxford - please see here for apprenticeships which are updated regularly.
- Air Tanker Recruiting for 6 Aeronautical Engineering Apprentices for a September 2021 start. Please see here. The application window closes on 14th March - the AirTanker link Here takes you straight to their careers page where you can click on the active Apprenticeships box and select the link to ‘apply now’ which opens up their e-recruit window for the student to upload their personal details and attach their CV and covering letter.
- Advanced Therapies Apprenticeship Communities (ATAC) - For STEM Apprenticeship Vacancies see here
- BMW - For information on their Apprenticeship scheme see their Oxford Apprentice Video; BMW Group UK video and their website. Please see their BMWGroup 2021 Apprenticeship Newsletters: Issue 1 and Issue2.
- IBM - IBM offer apprenticeships ranging from Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship to Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship and roles open on 18th February 2021. Link to register interest. IBM commit to providing a safe space filled with networking and opportunities within a company whose culture is to embrace different cultures and a community that invests in young people's careers.
- Darke & Taylor Apprenticeships Apprentice Prospectus
- Velocity Football Sports Apprenticeships details here: Velicity Football
- Thames Water Mechanical and Electrical Engineering apprentice roles Level 3 available to final GCSE students; Level 4,6 and 7 Engineering and Science Level 6 apprenticeships available to A level students. Please see apprentice opportunities and for more information please visit www.thameswater.co.uk/about-us/careers Deadline for Application is 28th February 2021.
Apprenticeships with the University of Oxford
Becoming an Apprentice at the University of Oxford is an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience, training, qualifications and a salary. The university has an ever-growing number of Apprenticeships and it is actively working towards creating even more opportunities for the community. New Apprenticeship vacancies are always appearing, so check back regularly for new postings here
The Government 'Find an Apprenticeship' website
The National Apprenticeship Service website
The National Apprenticeship Service - Parent information
Abingdon and Witney College Apprenticeship
OXME.info Information on different aspects of growing up including education and training.
National Careers Service - For job profiles and information about which careers will be in demand in the future. If you want to speak to an advisor you can call 0800 100 900; they will call you back.
FutureLearn Careers - partner with over 170 world-class universities, institutions and industry leaders to create world-class courses to help you with your career.
All About School - Offers free advice and guidance to young people.
www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk - Find out about live apprenticeships, training and Job vacancies and get in touch with employers. Tips about applying for jobs and how to impress at interviews.